Whether you’re a traveler, content creator, or business owner, having a large social media following and presence can have a lot of benefits. It can give you more exposure, credibility, and even lead to sponsored and paid opportunities.
But, when it comes to social media, it seems that every day there’s something new to learn. It’s constantly changing and can be hard to keep up with. We hope these tips help you better understand what it takes to grow your channels and audience.
It’s important to first understand that there’s no one way to do it. There’s a variety of strategies you can use and everyone seems to have their own preferences. Which brings us to our first tip…
10 Tips for Growing Your Social Media
#1 Choose the best platform for YOU
It’s so important to be thoughtful about which social media platform is a good fit for you. You don’t need to be on every platform. In fact, it’s likely that you’ll do a much better job managing 1-2 instead of trying to do it all. Consider focusing on one at a time and gradually expanding your presence across other channels as you master each one.
The best way to select the right platform for you is to determine your why. Understand how each platform could impact you and whether or not it’s a good fit with your goals, especially if you will be using it for your brand or business. Think about your niche or industry and which platform is the best fit for your content. Which platforms do your customers or fans use the most? How will you be able to serve them best?
#2 Use different content and strategies for each platform
Each platform has it’s own set of strategies that we’ll share later in this post, but you definitely don’t want to just share the same content across every social media channel you have. It can be tempting since many of them are integrated, making it much more time efficient, but it can be annoying for your followers to see the same content again and again.
Your content can be similar, but should be in different forms or styles. For example, you may share a link to a blog post on Facebook and then take one of the photos from that post to share on Instagram, then create a graphic of it for Pinterest and use a quote or fact from it for Twitter. But, you wouldn’t want to share the exact same photo and caption on all 4 platforms.
#3 Utilize social media share and follow icons
The easier you make it for people to follow or share about you, the more likely they will. Your website should have the social media follow icons on every page, and every blog post should have the ability for readers to quickly share the post on social media. You can also put the social media follow icons in your email signature and business cards!
#4 Be consistent
One of the most important things to growing your social media is consistency! Even if you don’t have the greatest content out there, it’s crucial that you post regularly on all the platforms you choose to be on. Consistent posting is a big part of the algorithm that many platforms use. The more they see you using their platform, the more they’ll favor your channel and ensure your content is getting seen. The more your content gets seen, the more followers you’ll gain!
Posting consistently can be a representation of you and your brand or business. If you’re showing up regularly, rather than disappearing for days or weeks at a time, you send the message that you’re reliable and committed. You’ll be much more likely to attract engaged and loyal followers, if you’re engaged and loyal yourself. People do notice!
#5 Be social!
It’s called “social” media for a reason – it’s meant to be a way to communicate and connect with others. It’s not supposed to be one sided and you’ll never grow if you treat it that way.
Get out there and engage with other’s in your niche or industry. Follow other accounts similar to yours, follow your followers, and then follow your follower’s followers. Many platforms will actually recommend certain accounts for your to follow, based on your current audience and activity. Grow your network just like you would in person!
But don’t stop there. Hit that “like” or heart button on other people’s content. Leave a comment or strike up a conversation with a direct message. And always always try to reply to anyone who comments on your content. The more places you can engage, the more likely you’ll get noticed! Plus, you’ll start to form relationships with your followers and that’s the key!
#6 Be genuine
Yes, we all make our lives, businesses, products, etc. look better on social media and that’s okay. But it’s also important to share who you really are behind the perfectly edited and staged photos! Opening yourself up a little bit will allow your followers to connect with you on a deeper level, which turns followers into friends and fans.
Allow yourself to share the not-so-perfect moments and find opportunities to draw people in by telling a story. At the end of the day, people want to connect with real people.
#7 Sharing is caring
While there is “me” in social media, remember that it’s not all about YOU. If you focus on what value you can bring your followers, you’re much more likely to have success. What are their needs and how can you offer them solutions to their pain points?
A great way to show you care about your followers is to share helpful content. That content may not always be your own…again, it’s not all about YOU. Share other people’s or company’s content if you feel your followers will enjoy it or find it helpful. This sends a great message to both your audience and the owner of the content. Sometimes when you’re willing to share and promote others, they’ll scratch your back too!
#8 Take advantage of scheduling tools
Using a scheduler for posting to your social media platforms for consistency and efficiency will make your life much easier! You can keep up with consistent posting without driving yourself crazy. Schedulers can help you determine the best days and times to post content, which hashtags to use, and many other helpful tools. But most importantly, you can set it and not have to worry about posting every day. Then, you can focus on engaging with your audience instead!
#9 Evaluate your strategy regularly
You always want to be looking at your accounts with a critical eye. Check your insights, notice any trends, and try to determine what what’s working and what isn’t. There’s even companies that can help you with this, if you need!
If you’re noticing a lack of growth or engagement, try different things until you find what works. When you start to get momentum, keep doing more of whatever it is that’s helping. Your strategy might be ever-changing and that means you’re in tune with your audience and what they want and need from you!
#10 Reward your followers
It’s not rocket science – if there are certain “perks” to following you, you’ll get more followers! You can be creative with how you choose to offer such benefits. Maybe you provide special or exclusive content to certain platforms only. Or, offer a special discount for followers!
If you aren’t a business, consider doing giveaways for your followers. You can team up with businesses to give a prize away to one lucky follower who likes and comments on a post! People love getting incentives for their behavior on social media.
Strategies For Each Platform
- Instagram is reserved for visually appealing content. Users prefer photos or short video clips rather than screenshots of text or graphics. Typically, people scroll through fast and pause at the photos that catch their eye, so you want to get noticed!
- Create a bio that captures your personality (hint: use emojis!). Also, link to your blog or website in your bio. You can use tools like Bitly or Linktree to add multiple links in one!
- Post high quality edited photos – limit the selfies! There are lots of great apps for editing. You want your photos to be eye catching.
- Post photos that are portrait (vertical) and use an aspect ratio up to 4:5. This will allow your photos to be larger on a cell phone screen, which will give it a greater chance of getting noticed and getting more likes.
- Have a color scheme for your photos to make your whole feed look similar and appealing.
- Write thoughtful or inspirational captions that encourage engagement (ask a question to get more comments!).
- Use 30 hashtags in the first comment of your post. Research the most popular hashtags for your niche and use those that have 500,000 posts or less to ensure yours stands out and isn’t lost in the crowd.
- Tag locations, brands, accounts when possible when applicable.
- Utilize the stories feature to give your followers a more “behind the scenes” look, share other content or special offers, and engage more.
- Create eye catching pins rather than pinning images from your blog or website. Pins should be a 2 x 3 ratio or 600px by 900px. They should have large, easy to read font and visually appealing photos or graphics.
- Use Tailwind for scheduling pins to be re-pinned. Also to join “Tribes” to ensure your pins get shared by others.
- Join group boards to get more visibility for your pins.
- Share other people’s pins to provide helpful content to your followers.
- Do keyword research to know what is most commonly being searched for in your niche. Then, create content for that topic.
- Keep your page updated with correct information. Many people use Facebook pages in the same way they would a website and go to your page for accurate information.
- Facebook is a great way for you to deliver more value to followers. Since you can share a variety of content (full length videos, links to articles, recommendations, slideshows, etc), you have more opportunities to serve your audience and their needs. Take advantage of that!
- Create a group for your fans or followers to foster a community and provide special benefits or private access to you!
- Join groups in your niche and engage regularly and authentically in them.
- Use the auto-reply feature for your messages to ensure you have a fast response rating.
- Think outside the box with what you post. Users love to participate in polls, post GIFs to answer a question, solve puzzles, etc. Any way of increasing engagement helps!
- Tag other accounts and brands when possible in your posts.
- Use page insights and post metrics to see what your audience likes best and determine what you should post more of.
- You can integrate other apps and tools with your Facebook page, such as custom tabs, email capture forms, landing pages, podcasts, blog and RSS feeds, and more.
- Tweet 3-7 times per day. This can include not just your own personal tweets but also tweets from your followers, relevant industry articles and stats, breaking news, etc. Use a scheduler to help!
- Use visually appealing graphics, images, GIFs, etc to go with your tweets. Infographics and videos are the most commonly shared tweets.
- Use as many hashtags organically in your tweet without going overboard.
- Take advantage of Twitter analytics to determine the best hashtags for your industry.
- Tag other brands or accounts in your tweets to capture their attention.
- Join a twitter chat
- Upload new content (3 – 4 times/week) as often as possible but at least once a week.
- Share videos on multiple platforms
- Create Eye-catching and consistent thumbnails (branding)
- Create high-quality content. Content doesn’t necessarily have to be flashy or highly produced – think of how to’s and tutorial videos or content that solves problems.
- Add Youtube Cards to recommend additional content to keep people on your page or complete a call to action.
- Make a personal connection. Don’t be afraid to build a relationship with your audience by going in front of the camera – even if that is not the primary format of your videos.
- Ask people to subscribe to your channel. Sounds simple but sometimes people forget.
Add to the conversation…
What are tips that have helped you grow your social media? Tell us below in the comments so we can learn from one another!